Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Confessions of An Insomniac

I'm an insomniac and have been my whole life. My mom tells stories of a one year old me wandering the house at midnight trying to play. I remember laying in the hallway and watching Johnny Carson at seven and staying up all night in high school. It's not that I don't want to sleep, I really do, I love sleep, I just can't seem to sleep.
I've tried just about everything: yoga, warm milk, relaxation breathing, no meat, no sugar, no caffeine, rice and talked to my doctors. They always give me sleeping pills. I don't like medication. I'm willing to take one every now and then but not every night. I don't like the fuzzy feeling the next day and all it's doing is treating a symptom not getting rid of the problem. The past year or so, I've been monitoring my eating habits a little more closely and trying to identify a common problem. The problem is, there's no consistency. About 3 times a week I have a night of 1-3 hours of sleep. It was fine when I was younger but I'm pushing 30 now and need sleep. I've read everything I can find on sleep and felt I've tried it all. For the past 6 weeks, I've been kickboxing for 30 minutes 5 days a week and doing a 10 minute Tai-Chi cool down. You'd think that would help me sleep but all it does is give me more energy with my normal amount of sleep.

1 comment:

Bree said...

I didn't know you had a blog! YAY!

Just wanted to let you know that I am an insomniac too. Except I try to wake up Dan so I don't have to go it alone... and he doesn't like that! So now, maybe I'll just call you!

:)

haiku