Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Friday, July 18, 2008

My Day At the Hospital

My best friend's daughter, Natalie has been in the hospital since Tuesday morning. She has cancer and goes to the hospital from time to time but since they now live closer, I can actually go visit her in the hospital. It's so hard watching people we love go through so much. Tammy's like my sister to me and I want to do everything I can to help. I've wanted to go to the hospital since the moment she was admitted but she was running a high fever and then we weren't feeling too hot here so I waited. I was a little worried to leave the boys since this is how my week was the first few days:

Poor Ryan just wasn't getting enough sleep at night and literally cried for 3 hours on Monday. Each day got a little better but I've been on edge and waiting for a encore performance.
Noah is solidly 2. He's usually a delight but for some reason this week was tantrum week. (not as fun as shark week...)

They chilled out yesterday so I decided to call Tammy and see what she needs. She asked me to come and I asked what would be better with or without the boys. Tammy doesn't ever ask for anything but she asked for me to come without the boys so I knew she was desperate! I called my wonderful visiting teacher and friend, Bethanne to see if she could help me. She and her family were amazing and made it possible for me to go downtown to spend a few hours with Natalie and her mom and brother.

First we did crafts which I loved. By the end she and I were both just covered in glitter, it was so much fun.
Here's Natalie and my new best bud Steven. He and I went on a long walk around the hospital today and had a really good time.
Since Natalie's counts are so low right now, all visitors wear masks. Steven thought it was the funniest thing and kept looking under my mask to see my face. Then he'd try to eat the mask. I went through a few because he'd pull it so hard it'd break or throw it on the floor.
Natalie playing a game. She was fun to spend the morning with. It's just so hard to see her in pain. She'll be having fun and playing and then twists her body and stops everything for a minute. My heart just breaks when I see her like that and our prays are with her every day. The boys love her and want her to be able to play with them again soon

5 comments:

Lisa said...

What a sweet little thing. I hope she gets better soon...

shahna said...

u R a thoughtful, generous friend. What a blessing!

Amber Hooten said...

Wow! I can't imagine what your friend must be going through. That is so difficult. You are wonderful to want to go and help. You are an example to me of Christlike service. Bethanne is awesome isn't she?

Amanda said...

That is WAY too sad:( I can't stand any child being in such pain and the pain the parents must feel....I hope I never know.

Bethanne said...

I am so glad that I got the opportunity to help you so that you could go help Tammy. Seriously. THANK YOU for letting me "serve". It was so good for me and the boys and I had fun! :) Plus, Leah got to come over and make new friends as well...which is always a plus!

haiku