Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Saga Continues

We were over the sickness--or so we thought. Yesterday Ryan collapsed at school. He'd been complaining about stomach pains and kept getting up and finally, as he was trying to leave the classroom, fell over and curled into a fetal position and cried. By the time I got there, he was a little better but still in pain so we rushed to our doctor's office. They were closed for lunch for an hour and a half. I debated whether or not to go to the emergency room but decided against it since my wait would be longer than and hour and a half. So we waited. Ryan dozed off and seemed to be better. There was an incident with a shake and a car seat but it was otherwise uneventful. We went in and were told his stomach was just spasming and to give him pepto. If it didn't go away, come back.

We went home, and I put a movie on and helped Ryan get situated on the couch. I went to take a test. It was a timed test and it took 30 minutes. When I came back into the room, Ryan was running a fever of almost 103 and was bright red. I called the doctor's office and they told me to come straight in. Everyone was thinking appendicitis. I had to pick Ryan up and carry him out because he was in too much pain to put on his shoes. We were rushed to the back of the doctor's office, where a nurse had to carry him too, and he was checked out. His stomach was fine. When it was pushed, he didn't scream. Then the doctor looked in his throat for the 2nd time that day and it had changed drastically. It was covered in blisters. They had appeared in 4 hours or so since my first visit. Strep test=negative flu test=negative So what's causing this? No one really knows but the best theory is: He had blisters in his ear last Friday. They were supposed to burst and drain out but they didn't. Instead when they burst they drained down his throat and into his stomach and the bacteria started growing. Ryan was on antibiotics until Wednesday, which most likely slowed their growth. Poor little guy.




Now a quick update:

The Good:

Noah hasn't been sick once. He's such a little trooper. When we went in to the doctor's office again last night, he was just sitting there with his chin on his hands very paitiently waiting. Not one cry or scream (which is pretty amazing).

Ryan seems to be responding to his medication. He's getting better. His fever dropped around midnight last night and hasn't come back. Aside from a few bouts of nausea his stomach isn't hurting as much. Hopefully, this should do it.

Jason was able to meet us at the doctor's office so I wasn't doing it all alone. His work stress has lessened so I'm not a computer widow so much anymore.

On the test I took yesterday. It's one you can take 3 times and then the highest grade is recorded so I decided to take it the first time without studying and I got and 87%. It's a medical language class so that's pretty cool. I guess I've just watched a lot of ER.

The Bad:

Yesterday I had one item that I HAD to get...diapers. Instead I was at the school, at the doctor's office, home briefly then back to the doctor's office. During the rush, I forgot. This morning I realized I don't have any...not one. Holy cow!! And Jason's going to be gone for a few hours cleaning the church. Looks like it's time for a fun-filled Wal-Mart run.

The Ugly:

After 2.5 weeks of sickness this is what my house looks like...




And that's just the living room...
And all I have done so far this morning, besides blog is laundry. We went through 3 sheet sets last night.

8 comments:

Juli said...

Oh Ami, I really hope that you guys start feeling better. I can't believe that about Ryan! So sad...BTW, your house looks excellent after being sick for 2.5 weeks! Mine looks like that after 2 days!

Amanda said...

Whatever poor Ryan has sounds HORRIBLE:( I hope he is on the mend and that spring brings nothing but wellness for you guys!

Jess said...

I hope he's feeling better! It feels like the sickness never ends, huh? I'm so sorry :( It is so sad to see your kids in so much pain and not really being able to do anything about it (I don't know if that sentence made sense, but I am going on like three hours of sleep, and three times cleaning up throw-up....LOL)

Anyway...your house looks AMAZING compared to mine, so hopefully that makes you feel a little better :) I wouldn't dare post pictures of what mine looks like at this moment....makes me exhausted just to think about it :)

shahna said...

Wow! HUGE Drama at the Aaron household. Blisters on his throat? I have never heard of that, I can't even imagine how painful that would be! "your poor baby. Did you get some popsicles for him when you made your Wal Mart run? i would be happy to bring you some, if not.

Bethanne said...

Omigosh, I am so sorry. Terrible! Let me know how I can help!

Janie said...

My house looks like that and I have no excuse. any chance it was hand, foot and mouth - it causes major throat blisters. and its not limited to hand foot and mouth areas like you would think - anyway hope everyone is feeling better soon!!!

Tammy said...

I don't think that L.V. room looks too bad...especially considering your last two weeks

Kendra said...

Nora had Hand foot and mouth...Twice! Blisters and all. But this sounds a little different, cause Nora wasn't ever nauseous and didn't run much of a fever. I hope he gets better soon. I've been thinking about taking the diapers off Nora at night, but three sets of sheets would put me over the edge!

haiku