Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Attitude of Gratitude

I'm trying to be a more thankful person. I have such a wonderful life and I need to notice all the amazing blessings that make up my days and not get so caught up in the stuff. When I was first married, I wrote in my journal every day and at the bottom of each entry, I wrote 5 things I was grateful for. My rule was 1 thing had to be about me, like a talent I possess or even a physical feature. I would whip through the first 4 things then sit there with my pen hovering over the page for a long time. Sometimes I'd go about my day and get back to that pesky #5. Why is it so easy to see the good in those around us and miss it in ourselves? That extends to our families as well. Sometimes I feel so caught up in the daily business that I forget to notice that Jason did the dishes and Ryan put away all his toys and Noah saved a cookie for his brother. All the little things. So my resolve is to notice the little things in myself and all those around me. It's so easy to beat myself up...I didn't work out today and I forgot to switch the laundry...instead of thinking positive things...good job on the dishes and that soup I made turned out pretty great. Well, here goes nothing...(in no particular order)

1. Annie - she's not only my cousin but she's one of my best friends. We talk just about every day and she's compassionate and hilarious.

2. My family - I've got the greatest family around. My boys are so kind to each other and enjoy spending time together.

3. My home - I love my little house. It's so cozy. It's great to walk in from this cold, windy weather we're having lately into a nice, warm house full of people and things that I love.

4. My friends - I have some of the greatest friends around. You know you have good friends when you can call them and ask them to watch your son in 10 minutes or call and ask to use their facilities when you're out driving and aren't very close to home. (sadly, i've done both of those in the past week...)

Now the hard one...

5. My eyes - I've always liked the color of my eyes. They're green hazel and turn from green to blue and sometimes to grey depending on my mood and what I'm wearing. I hoped one of my kids would get my eyes and Ryan's close but he's more true hazel (brown/green) and Noah's eyes are so dark brown they look almost black. Darn dominant brown eye gene.... :)

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I like your eyes and your hair is pretty great too!

haiku